Do you remember what it was like when you were learning how to ride a bike the first time? If your learning experience was anything like mine, you had lots of wobbling, uncertainty, fear of falling, and desiring the security of my mom’s steady hands.
Even when my mom assured me I could do it and was ready to go a little ways on my own, I wasn’t always convinced. But oh what joy I felt when I was able to handle that bike on my own and graduate to no training wheels.
Of course, I didn’t get away without some falls and a few scars. While uncomfortable and at times feeling unsure of my abilities, I didn’t let that stop me from getting back up again.
It’s been said that even if you haven’t ridden in a long time, it quickly comes back to you. Thus the familiar phrase, it’s like riding a bike.
Riding a bike is just one of life’s rites of passages you think everyone learns to do as a tyke. Likewise, we assume every Christian knows how to study their Bible.
But what if you never learned?
As someone who grew up in church, I still felt wobbly and unsure when it came to studying the Bible. And you might be surprised just how many Bible-believing individuals feel ill-equipped, not smart enough, or not spiritual enough to dig into God’s Word on their own. So instead you stick with studying with training wheels.
Friend, my shelves are lined with training wheels – devotionals, books, Bible studies. And they each have their place in enhancing our spiritual growth.
But you were made for more!
God wants to meet you in the pages of His Word. You can have confidence no matter how unqualified you feel to handle your Bible.
*Note this post contains affiliate links, which means at no additional cost to you, your purchase helps support our site.
How you ask? By learning a step-by-step way to study the Word. I’m delighted to share with you a resource by a trusted sister in Christ, Arabah Joy. Her Bible Study Methods: 7 Ways in 7 Days will give you an assuring hand and the skills you need to confidently approach your Bible study time.
4 Ways to Ride Solo in Your Bible Study Time
1. Get your sword. Find a Bible that’s easy for you to read and understand. I grew up with the “gold standard” of Bibles –the King James. At least that was the way I felt growing up. But today there are many options to choose from.
2. Pray. Before studying God’s Word, pray and ask God to open your heart.
3. Get a game plan. Consider using a reading plan. Be intentional about your study time by setting aside a specific time and place to study. Have supplies such as a notebook, highlighter, and pens handy.
4. Be methodical. You need a method to your study time. Just opening the Bible and reading a random scripture and calling it a day isn’t sufficient. Having a framework for study time helps you focus and positions you to find applicable truths. My favorite method happens to be the S.O.A.P method. Not sure where I first came across this study method but I liked it so much that I taught my former Sunday school class to you use it.
The SOAP method focuses on 4 key areas when reading scripture:
–Scripture: what passage stood out to you as you read it
–Observations: what do observe is happening in the passage
–Application: how does the passage relate to you? In what way can use the scripture passage in your own life?
–Prayer: Using the scripture passage pray God’s Word back to him.
The SOAP method is just one of several ways to tackle your study time. There’s the FOCUS, APPLE, and FEAST method just to name a few.
Don’t be afraid to explore various methods. Discover your favorite study style with Bible Study Methods: 7 Ways in 7 Days.
This self-paced study will:
- teach you 7 different Bible study methods
- streamline the learning process, so you don’t spend weeks or months figuring it out
- give you tools for going deep into God’s word in as little as ten minutes a day (perfect for busy moms!)
- provide ready-made templates and printables you can choose from
- show you exactly how to do each method with the daily videos
- revolutionize your time in God’s word and discover fresh intimacy with God in the process.
- equip you to nourish yourself with the Scriptures
- teach you how to develop your spiritual senses
- help you establish a Bible study habit!
And you have lifetime access to the course and can start it whenever it’s convenient for you.